Author Topic: Flickering of cloud reflections on water surface  (Read 3647 times)

CleRIC

• View Profile
Flickering of cloud reflections on water surface
« on: May 16, 2017, 09:10:05 AM »
Hello!

https://pp.userapi.com/c637225/v637225502/5612b/Nhw2NY2eYR4.jpg - screenshot from Unity 5.6.0f3.
https://pp.userapi.com/c637225/v637225502/560d7/Y1kl2Z0Adu4.jpg - screenshot from demo package.

Screenshot from the demo is much more realistic than screenshots from Unity.
What settings were used for the Demo?

Next video shows problem of flickering of cloud reflections on water surface. Clouds are flickering even with max quality.
1 video

Also why doesn't Tenkoku_Module have preset manager as like in SUIMONO_Module?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:13:14 AM by CleRIC »

mattis

• View Profile
    • Youtube
Re: Flickering of cloud reflections on water surface
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 05:48:51 PM »
Hello!

So I´m gonna fill in for Justin here now cuz he´s on vacation this week, I´m not AT ALL awesome like him but I´ve had all the issuses with this assets so I know a few fixes :D

Okay so, the screenshots.
Reason why the demo looks like that it´s because he´s probably using post effects and some image effects. You can find free ones or a really affordable packages  on the Asset store.

Are you using 1 or 2 cameras? Are you using Suimono Water Systems?

Put the MainCamera in Main Camera slot on the Tenkoku Dynamic Sky Module. Use the Manual Select Camera Mode, and simply drag it there.. AND select you MainCamera and change the rendering path to FORWARD.
Instagram: AstralStorm Games
Youtube: AstralStorm Games

CleRIC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 02:36:04 AM »
Hello, Mattis!

Did what you said.

I'm using 1 camera on video. But in game I may use 2 perspective camera and 1 orthogonal for UI.
In 1 video the water was standard package from Unity.
But with Suimono Water there is same problem  (video 2)

mattis

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 03:20:09 PM »
Okay, well it has to do with the reflections on the water surface... you could just go to the suimono module and find the reflection layers and click on skybox so it dosent render that, that would fix it... but that´s just a quick fix... I think I have it that way.. to reflect the sky is so unescasary if you ask me .. I cant really give you a real fix on this one .. but have you put the suimono script in the script execution order ??
Instagram: AstralStorm Games
Youtube: AstralStorm Games

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 06:15:54 PM »
@Mattis Thanks a bunch for filling in! :)

@CleRIC For best results in Tenkoku it's highly recommended to use Linear color space in your Unity settings, and the .HDR checked on your scene camera.  This gives your scene, and thus Tenkoku sky rendering, more color information to work with and will allow a smoother more realistic sky.  It's also highly recommended to use a Tonemapper effect on your camera... as this will further tone the scene colors into a more realistic range.  There are a few tonemappers available, but I highly recommend the free tonemapper that's included in Unity's new Post Processing Stack: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/83912

Mattis' solution to remove the clouds from Suimono reflections is a good one!  But if you need cloud reflections then you need another solution...  the flickering you're seeing in the water is due to Tenkoku's built-in temporal aliasing only affecting the sky, not the entire scene.  This was done for performance reasons, but also because it was assumed anything that needed it in Tenkoku would be up in the sky.  Seeing the flickering in the water is an oversight on my part.  I'll add an option in the next update that will let you apply the aliasing to the whole scene.  In the meantime you can turn off the Tenkoku Temporal Aliasing function, and instead use the Temporal aliasing included in the above Post Processing stack which *should* apply it to the whole scene (including reflections).

Also, it looks like the cloud reflections are a lot darker than they ought to be.  I'll take a look at that.

Tenkoku doesn't include presets simply because the settings are intended to be much more variable than they normally would be in Suimono.  How would you want use presets in your scene?  I can look into a preset system in the future, possibly, if you can convince me it makes sense :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:18:59 PM by Chingwa »

CleRIC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 03:20:11 AM »
@Mattis If I do it then water surface will be "deserted". Our game of battles of ships so water must will be looking good :)

@Chingwa Hello!

I'll add an option in the next update that will let you apply the aliasing to the whole scene.

Thank you. It's very necessary for our game.

How would you want use presets in your scene?

Initially I thought that enough of those are in Suimono but then I understood that isn't enough.
I think preset must consist:
1. All starting weather and time settings
2. List of time points in which there are changes in a particular parameter from one value to another for a certain period of time. For example, the rain at 12:35 starts to go from zero to very rainy weather for 15 minutes, and by 12:50 the weather will become very rainy.

Although at the same time I would like to change the water dynamically. So it is necessary to write a separate preset manager.

But we need this in the near future, so we will have to finish this ourselves  :)

Also on the 6 video (click) you can see that the clouds receive a white stroke if they have an object behind them  :(
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 05:29:37 AM by CleRIC »

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 10:31:32 AM »
Just FYI, I've adusted the cloud rendering for the next update so you shouldn't see that strange outline effect in the clouds.

CleRIC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 01:17:29 PM »
Oh, it's good news :)