Author Topic: UPDATE 3/28/2017 - Tenkoku Version 1.1.5 Released  (Read 9883 times)

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
UPDATE 3/28/2017 - Tenkoku Version 1.1.5 Released
« on: March 28, 2017, 04:54:58 PM »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: Tenkoku version 1.1.5d has been posted.  This version has the following changes in addition to the below:

BUG FIXES (1.1.5d)
- Fixed new sky atmosphere shader to work properly on MacOSX.

BUG FIXES (1.1.5c)
- Fixed fog/sky tracking error while switching scene cameras.

BUG FIXES (1.1.5b)
- Fixed overdarkening of Stratus and Cirrus clouds.

If anyone downloaded 1.1.5 and would like a small patch file for 1.1.5d then please send me an email and let me know--> konnichiwa[at]tanukidigital.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Tenkoku version 1.1.5 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download

This update includes new sky rendering based on the Oskar Elek 2009 sky model. This allows a smoother and more natural gradient in the sky and better realism and tonality especially around Dawn/Dusk.  The new sky model is enabled by default, but note that you can switch back to the original Tenkoku sky if you need to by selecting the 'atmospheric model' setting in the 'ATMOSPHERICS' tab.  It is highly recommended to use Linear Rendering, and some form of Tonemapping in your project while using the new sky model, and the default brightness has been configured assuming that will be the case.  If you aren't using Tonemapping then I recommend you reduce the 'Sky Amount(day)' setting under 'CELESTIAL SETTINGS' to compensate for this.

Also of note is a brand new rendering model for the Aurora effects.  This has been redone completely and should now be working properly with all other Tenkoku systems, as well as looking more interesting and realistic.  By default the auroras will only appear when you're above 60 degrees in latitude (or below -60).

I've also added a number of tooltips to the UI (yes, finally!).  You can see the tooltips while hovering over the asterisk next to many of the settings and options.

Note that Tenkoku will now disable MSAA in your project by default, but there is a setting under configuration to prevent it from doing so if you prefer.

One other improvement that has been added is the ability to choose how the ambient source in Tenkoku reacts.  You can now choose to use the Tenkoku skybox as ambient color contribution, and this is enabled by default.  When set to skybox, ambient lighting will be updated based on the reflection probe update FPS setting.

In addition to the above, a whole bunch of bugs and other issues have been addressed.  Please take a look at the version notes below.

Unity Version Update:
Please note that this version requires Unity 5.3.4 or greater.  If you are using a lower version of Unity, then you can download an older version of Tenkoku (1.1.2 and below) from the Tanuki Digital website.  This version has been tested with the latest Unity 5.6.0f1 Beta and is working as expected as of that version.  If you notice any issues while using the 5.6 beta please drop a note about it on the forums.  Also note that that because of some of the additions above, it's necessary to delete the current Tenkoku object in your scenes and add a new object from the prefabs folder after installing.

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

All the best,
Justin Kellis
Tanuki Digital

-------------------------------
RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.1.5
-------------------------------

WHAT'S NEW
- New Atmospheric rendering based on Oskar Elek model.  This is set by default.  You can switch back to previous sky model in the 'Atmospherics' section if you prefer. (use in conjunction with Tonempaping is highly recommended).
- Improved Aurora rendering model should give more interesting and realistic looking aurora effects.
- Added tooltips in editor on many settings (hover over the *).  Only works while not in play mode (Unity, doh!)
- Added 'Disable MSAA' setting that forces MSAA off when selected. (On by default)
- Added 'Ambient Source' selection option.  Can now set ambient to 'Skybox' for more realistic Ambient Rendering.
- Added 'Add Automatic FX' option which allows control over automatic camera FX instantiation.
- Added 'Day Ambient Amount' in color section to control ambient multiplier brightness during day (skybox ambient only).
- Added 'Night Ambient Amount' in color section to control ambient multiplier brightness during night (skybox ambient only).
- Night lighting is now modulated properly by the moon phase, so waxing/waning moons will be darker than full moons.
- Added 'Weather Overcast Darkening' slider that separately controls the overcast darkening from the overcast cloud rendering.

CHANGES
- Force disable 'Temporal Aliasing' when running on Mac. Hopefully there will be a mac-compatible version in the future.
- Tenkoku now forces built-in reflection probe intensity to 1.0 for accurate sky color reflections.
- Edited cloud and sun gradients for more realistic behavior around dawn/dusk.
- Edited star visibility transition timing to be more realistic.
- Updated Solar eclipse Flare texture.
- Clock display in 'Time and Position' tab changed to text display (no longer used as time inputs, use sliders instead.)
- Brightened Moon Rendering and improved Day Sky blending.
- Tenkoku_SetTransition() function now accepts floats for time duration. (note: int duration input is marked for removal)
- Tenkoku_SetTransition() now inlcudes Smoothed start/end transition by default.
- Tenkoku_SetTransition() now accepts optional AnimationCurve input to better control transitions.
- Made sun shaft lighting less orange during non dawn/dusk hours.
- Gradient Source set to 'Texture' by default.
- Lowered sun flare intensity.

BUG FIXES
- Fixed camera tracking to use proper world coordinates (was causing distance clipping in clouds/stars/galaxy).
- Cached component lookups to reduce Garbage Collection resources.
- Cloud movement now respects Unity Time.timeScale settings.
- Cloud noise generation no longer freezes if timescale is set to 0.
- Legacy cloud movement now corrected when 'link to system' is off.
- Fixed Sun render clipping when set to larger sizes.
- Set default Sun Mie value to be lower.
- Ambient light is now affected by solar eclipse state.
- Fixed 'Scene light layers' list population bug in editor.
- Fixed bug with Tenkoku_SetTransition() functionality, now should be working properly.
- Moon lighting now fades in at proper time (no more dark areas between sun and moon).
- Moon brightness adjustments in Gamma mode.
- Lightning no longer flashes continuously if factor is changed during lightning strike.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:36:03 AM by Chingwa »

Fatalis

• View Profile
Re: UPDATE 3/28/2017 - Tenkoku Version 1.1.5 Released
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »
Awesome update! Can't wait to try it.

mmaclaurin

• Hobbyist, former games pro at Cyan at Microsoft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 05:46:01 PM »
Is MacOS officially supported?

Just downloaded the 1.15b from the "latest build" (dated 3/28/2017)

Trying a fresh build and getting bright pink sky on the Mac in the demo scene. (2015 MBP13" 8Gb RAM, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB)

Lighting is Linear
AA Disabled
Render mode Deferred,

Upgrading because with release builds from Assets stores it's worse. Seems like something regressed on Mac recently, haven't been able to track it down.
Unity version is 5.5.0f3 Personal

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 06:01:49 PM »
(edit: Sorry, just noticed you mentioned fresh install above)

Just want to clarify, did you do a complete reinstall, or do a upgrade on top of your previous Tenkoku version?  1.1.5 really requires a complete reinstall, due to some of the additions I had included in this version.

reinstall instructions:
1) remove tenkoku object from scene.
2) remove Tenkoku image effects from camera.
3) delete Tenkoku folder from project.
4) install new version.
5) drag tenkoku prefab back into project from /Prefabs folder.

If you still have a pink sky after doing the above, can you tell me whether switching the 'Atmospheric model' setting back to 'legacy' has any affect? (look under the 'atmospherics' tab).

Also, are there any issues showing up in your console, or is it only a sky shader issue?  I did do testing in the MacOSX build target without any issues, but I don't actually have a real Mac here to test with.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 06:12:57 PM by Chingwa »

mmaclaurin

• Hobbyist, former games pro at Cyan at Microsoft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 06:30:15 PM »
Yes, legacy atmospheric setting works great.

So I can't use the new goodness but at least I have functioning skies again!

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 06:48:20 PM »
Well I'm glad we've found the culprit, but that's a serious issue with the new sky shader :(  If you can post a unity log that shows any type of shader error, or perhaps click on the SHADERS/Tenkoku_sky_elek.shader file while it's running and see if it lists any errors there, it might help track down the issue.

Fatalis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 08:17:04 PM »
1.1.5 is looking great, loving the new atmospheric stuff. A couple things I've noticed is that sunset/sunrise results in EXTREMELY red lighting, anyway to tone that down? Also at sunrise/sunset my fps takes a pretty hard hit, I lose about 20 frames (looking at my project again this might caused by enabling the aurora). Also enabling the aurora (which looks awesome btw!) causes clouds to disappear except at the edges of the skysphere.

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 08:34:05 AM »
The red lighting... hmmm... you can go to the Color settings section and either adjust the 'sun' section of the gradient texture, or switch the source to 'custom gradient' and adjust the sun color gradient to be less orange/red.  I'll make these adjustments for the next update as well, as I do agree the light gets too red during these times.

As for the frame loss during dawn/dusk, I would think this would be due to the 'use multi lighting' setting.  Keeping this off will save you some performance during these times, or should.  I feel like we've discussed this before though I don't remember 100%.  If this is not the case and you still get frame drops at dawn/dusk even with multi lighting off then definitely let me know!

I did not experience any missing clods due to the aurora during testing, but it might be related to your camera view distance as well.  Can you tell me what the far clip plane setting on your camera is?  I will do some more testing here.

Fatalis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 01:27:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

Multilighting is off, but we have talked about this before so I tried this with multlighting on and off. There is no noticeable difference whether on or off, as far as improved or worse fps, no matter what I get a large fps dip as dawn and dusk. Could it be that there is a bug and multilighting is on all the time even if the option is not ticked? (An additional note, I've noticed the "dark" period after dusk and before the moon rises seems much longer than the previous version of Tenkoku?)

My far camera clip is 2048, I don't think that's too short of a distance to cause problems. I've done more testing with the aurora and now I'm having trouble getting it to work properly at all. Most of the time the aurora illuminates the entire sky as a giant color changing blob, and not the "rows" of light as it is supposed to be. I don't know what I did to cause it to break, as I had it working briefly upon integrating the update into my project. I will try to get a video of this soon.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 01:31:23 PM by Fatalis »

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »
Multi lighting is working as expected, if you have it on and monitor the triangle rendering in your scene you should see a big jump when using multi-lighting, even if you don't notice a FPS problem with it.  I don't have the fps issue on my end around dawn/dusk, BUT when I monitor the triangles I do notice an increase during these times.  It's related to the main sun lighting, but I'm not sure why yet... I assume this is what's happening in your scene to and the source of your slow down.  I will keep looking into this and get back to you with anything I find.

I've tested here with a bunch of different camera distances and can't reproduce the cloud/aurora bug.  Just want to make sure that you did a complete uninstall/reinstall, rather than simply doing a direct upgrade?

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 04:08:30 PM »
Well the triangle boost that I mentioned above happens with a normal Unity light as well, as long as shadows are enabled.  do you know if a normal directional light causes this issue for you?  I.E. Disable Tenkoku object, add a directional light with shadows on, then change the X rotation between -20 --> +20 while playing your scene... ?

Fatalis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 07:50:48 PM »
I did completely delete the Tenkoku folder before installing the new version, but then I grabbed 1.1.5c and did not completely delete the Tenkoku folder. I think that's when the problems with the aurora occurred. I've done a clean install in my project again and now everything is working smoothly with the aurora. Even with the reinstall, and I should have specified earlier, the legacy clouds disappear when the aurora is active but the new clouds are fine. I am still getting fps drops though, I will try what you suggested with the directional light.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:53:48 PM by Fatalis »

Fatalis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 08:03:09 PM »
Well I tried what you suggested with the directional light, I do get a slight fps drop, but nothing nearly as severe with Tenkoku. Upon trying out the Tenkoku sunrise and sunset again, I noticed sometimes that the fps drop is so bad that it goes from 40 fps to 5 and adds 60+ ms of delay. :(

HittmanA

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 09:55:07 AM »
Hey I also have a problem with the pink sky and am also on a mac; when I switch to legacy it works again. I have confirmed I have the latest version of Tenkoku. How can this be fixed?

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 10:34:46 AM »
Hi HittmanA,

Thanks for the confirmation!  To fix I will need some info on what in the shader is failing on mac... I assume there is error reporting about this somewhere.  You might be able to see errors by clicking on the SHADERS/Tenkoku_sky_elek.shader file while running your scene with the pink sky, or there might be some info in the editor log that would be helpful after running the scene with the pink sky.  You can find your editor log here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

If you're willing to do a little back and forth than I think we can probably get this worked out!  Please send the above info to me at konnichiwa@tanukidigital.com