Author Topic: UPDATE 1/25/2017 - Tenkoku Version 1.1.4 Released  (Read 5791 times)

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
UPDATE 1/25/2017 - Tenkoku Version 1.1.4 Released
« on: January 25, 2017, 03:22:31 PM »
--------------------------------------
NOTE (1/27/2017):
I've released a new Update (version 1.1.4b) which addresses a few additional bugs since the 1.1.4 release.  There is also a patch file available for those who have already installed 1.1.4, and don't want to re-download a whole new version.  Here are the additional bug fixes:

BUG FIXES (1.1.4b)
- Fixed camera tracking to use proper world coordinates (was causing distance clipping in clouds/stars/galaxy).
- Cached component lookups to reduce Garbage Collection resources.

---------------------------------------

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Tenkoku version 1.1.4 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download

This update includes a few big updates.  The first is the addition of temporal aliasing for the new cloud system which helps smooth out and reduce banding, noise, and other artifacts in the clouds.  Because of this improvement it's also possible to reduce the 'quality' level of the clouds which helps increase performance, but still maintain acceptable visual rendering.  Temporal aliasing is on by default but can be turned off via a checkbox in the 'Configuration' panel.  Please note that if you are using other Temporal Aliasing components on your scene camera, (or if you choose to use the legacy Tenkoku cloud system) it's recommended to turn the Tenkoku aliasing off.

The next improvement is the addition of in-editor Color gradient editing.  This has been requested ever since version 1.0, and I'm happy to finally be able to include it.  In-Editor gradients are on by default, but you can also choose to use the previous method of defining color gradients through a texture file.

There has been a little bit of editor re-arrangment in this version, notable is the inclusion of a specific 'Colors' panel, where all color settings have been consolidated to and also which includes the gradient controls mentioned above.  There have been a number of additions to the 'Configuration' panel, allowing you more control over cloud rendering.

In addition to the above, a whole bunch of bugs and other issues have been addressed.  Please take a look at the version notes below.

Unity Version Update:
Please note that this version requires Unity 5.3.4 or greater.  If you are using a lower version of Unity, then you can download an older version of Tenkoku (1.1.2 and below) from the Tanuki Digital website.

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

All the best,
Justin Kellis
Tanuki Digital

-------------------------------
RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.1.4
-------------------------------

WHAT'S NEW
- Improved Cloud rendering, with reduced artifacts and better performance using Temporal Aliasing.
- New 'COLOR' section in interface, now distinct from 'Configuration' section.
- Now able to configure time color gradients directly in interface (no need to edit texture).
- Now able to pick between color gradient source, either 'Texture' or 'Custom Gradients'.
- Added 'Precipitation Quality' setting to control performance vs visuals of particle systems.
- Added 'Cloud Frequency' setting to control amount of clouds in sky.
- Added 'Cloud Detail' setting to control cloud edge detail.
- Added 'Temporal Aliasing' option to configuration menu.
- Added 'Lightning Tint' setting to customize lightning color(rgb) and intensity(a).

CHANGES
- Added apparent horizon sizing for sun and moon.
- Clamped Atmospheric Density setting to 0.5f minimum.
- Moved Cloud settings to Configuration panel (removed from weather panel).
- Tenkoku now automatically adds light ray effects to camera if not already available.
- Internal TenkokuModule reference no longer depends on "Tenkoku DynamicSky" name.
- Lowered apparent moon horizon size multiplication factor.
- Reduced Fog response to lightning flashes.
- Moved 'Link Clouds to Timer' setting to configuration panel
- Tenkoku now automatically adds fog FX to camera if missing, making setup easier.

BUG FIXES
- Fixed bug where Fog Tint color was not respecting distance settings, causing thicker than expected fog rendering.
- Fixed bug with sun/moon showing in front of terrain.
- Fixed bug with legacy clouds showing in front of terrain.
- Fixed bug with Random number references failing when project recompiles script.
- Fixed bug with lightning losing reference when no camera is present in scene.
- Clamped weather pattern and transition times to always be above 0, which was causing some unpredictable behavior.
- Fixed bug causing Sun light disabling during dawn/dusk hours.
- Fixed error with stars/galaxy not respecting timezone and daylight savings time settings.
- Fixed issue with sun and moon being clipped by camera frustum.
- Fixed issue with UI scaling out of window on OSX.
- Fixed issue with Updates erroneously using fixedDeltaTime, instead of deltaTime.
- Fixed bug with 'Advance Time' not stopping time when turned off.
- Attempts to limit material duplication for GIT and sharing purposes.
- Cloud direction offset is now set to relative (only works when clouds are not linked to system timer).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 10:16:59 AM by Chingwa »

nlap

• View Profile
Re: UPDATE 1/25/2017 - Tenkoku Version 1.1.4 Released
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 04:25:38 PM »
Thanks for the update. I'm having a problem:

I'm moving from 1.1.3. I deleted Tenkoku DynamicSky, and removed the camera components, and imported 1.1.4. The skysphere isn't working in this version, I'm getting:

Code: [Select]
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Tenkoku.Core.TenkokuModule.LateUpdate () (at Assets/TENKOKU - DYNAMIC SKY/SCRIPTS/TenkokuModule.cs:1563)

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 05:00:49 PM »
Hi nlap,
Let me know what version of Unity are you using and I'll double check on my end.

nlap

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 05:05:55 PM »
5.5.0f3

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 05:20:14 PM »
Hmmm.  I tested 5.5 right before I uploaded.  Did you make sure to completely delete the Tenkoku folder as well, before installing the new version...?

nlap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 05:36:32 PM »
Yes, fully deleted. I just tried on a blank project with same result. The prefab is pink.

Also noticed this time:
MissingComponentException: There is no 'Light' attached to the "LIGHT_NightSky" game object, but a script is trying to access it.
You probably need to add a Light to the game object "LIGHT_NightSky". Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.
Tenkoku.Core.TenkokuModule.LateUpdate () (at Assets/TENKOKU - DYNAMIC SKY/SCRIPTS/TenkokuModule.cs:1124)

Fatalis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 06:28:07 PM »
Is Automatic Random weather working in this version?

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 06:51:11 PM »
nlap,

OK thanks, I figured out the issue.  There was a couple corrupted references on the prefab (not sure how that happened!)  Below is a patch that will fix this for you.  Simply remove any tenkoku objects from your scene, run the patch, and then re-add the prefab and all should be working now.

The official 1.1.4 download has been updated as well.  Sorry about the frustration this caused, but I appreciate you pointing this out to me so quickly!

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 07:02:58 PM »
Fatalis,
Yes, random weather works on my end.
The advanced weather system release is still TBD, and is not included in this version.

nlap

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 08:01:07 PM »
Thanks Chingwa, working now. Appreciate your quick help!

oliran

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 09:52:06 PM »
Every time I see an update for Tenkoku I get so excited =) It means my entire game is about to get an upgrade since I use it in every scene. Thank you!

PS: The new clouds look MUCH better now.

oliran

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 10:17:20 PM »
One problem I'm having can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6t12gMdYek

Any ideas of why there may be a hole there? Turning off fxCloudSphere gets rid of the hole (and the clouds obviously)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:22:17 PM by oliran »

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 10:28:19 PM »
EDIT!  Disregard this reponse!  See the updated response below here: http://tanukidigital.com/forum/index.php?topic=906.msg3359#msg3359
------------------------------------------------------
oliran,
Thanks for the video.  I thought I had fixed this bug, but it looks like I didn't fix it completely. :(

I recommend you try editing this yourself on your end.  Open up the TenkokuModule.cs file and you should see the following on line 2334...
csSize = ((useCameraCam.farClipPlane / 20f) * 1.75f);Try lowering the multiplier at the end, so instead of 1.75f, try 1.7f or 1.65f... I think the clouds are getting too close to the camera clip plane.  Keep lowering this number until this issue goes away.  Then come back and let me know what number you end up with.

I had to redo the way this was done for Unity 5.5, and it's a bit unpredictable... it works fine in some cases, and not fine in others.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:22:36 PM by Chingwa »

oliran

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 11:23:27 PM »
Thanks for the fast reply! I had to get it all the way down to 1.3 to get it to work (went down by 0.5 increments), but it fixed the hole. I have another problem though: https://youtu.be/C38DXeLHXQU

I'm using Playway for water because I couldn't get Suimono to look right in VR, but both the legacy and previous new clouds worked with it. Any ideas of what I may be able to try for that?

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 04:07:10 PM »
After a bit more testing I figured out the cause of this clipped clouds issue, and why it appeared in some scenes and not others.  The sky sphere was not actually tracking the camera position appropriately in some cases (for example if the scene camera was parented to another object)... It was tracking the camera, but not the actual object world position.  Oops.

The fix for this is to open up TenkokuModule.cs and change line 1067 from this:

skyObject.transform.localPosition = useCamera.transform.localPosition;

to this:

skyObject.transform.position = useCamera.transform.position;

You can then reset the above scale to 1.75f.
I'm pretty sure this is also causing the issue you see in the water in your latest video.

This is a pretty serious issue, I'll have to think about whether to put out a patch, or do a new update for this.