Author Topic: Eye Advanced, difficult to position eyes, any simpler way?  (Read 2046 times)

vrOculate3

• View Profile
Eye Advanced, difficult to position eyes, any simpler way?
« on: August 01, 2016, 09:41:10 PM »
I take out the DAZ eyes and want to put in the Eye Advanced ones but it takes loads of time trying and trying to move them and resize them to the right position. And i have dozens of characters to do so it's tedious.

Is there a trick to position them quickly and correctly where they need to be?

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
Re: Eye Advanced, difficult to position eyes, any simpler way?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 10:39:31 PM »
I haven't used Daz3D character specifically.  What I recommend to do in general is to add the eye prefabs to your scene and then them a child object of the "eye" bones in your character.  Then set the position of the eye prefabs to 0,0,0 and the rotation to 0,0,0.  This should automatically put them at the same position and rotation as the eye bones... then you can just tweak a bit as a necessary from there.

Once you're done with one character, you should be able to duplicate and copy to your other daz characters without much trouble (assuming they use the same or similar scale and setup).

vrOculate3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:03:04 PM »
Thanks alot I've been experimenting with how to make it easier and now i have it down. PS there's no eyebones in daz characters. there's just head and the eyes are parented to the head.

Well what i do now is first load the eye, put it at 0, 0,0.   for some reason it's rotated to y 160 or something . so i set it back to 0 and also z and x.  Then i load my character. i estimate where the eye y is  which is about 1.7 meters up so i enter 1.7. then i found out to scale my eyes to 0.7 .   Then i  i haveto turn to side view of the character and move the eye so it slightly pokes comes out of the eyelid area. and that's it . looks good. then i just duplicate it and move the other one to the other side.

Interesting what i'm finding is the eye doesn't seem to reflect when the sun is pointing at the face.  i would think there'd be reflection. of course testing now, i don't have anything in the scene but other times when the sun is not pointing directly, you can see the Unity horizon in the eyes.

vrOculate3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 11:08:50 PM »
Question: WHen you   put your eyes , can you save as a prefab and retain the eyes?

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 08:35:16 AM »
Yes you should be able to resave as a new prefab.  It's best to break it away from the new prefab first though. Then create a new prefab i your project list and drag the resized eyes on to it.

Regarding the face reflection, Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

vrOculate3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 10:46:47 AM »
Here are some pictures. Now i kind of got it ;)
But i'll show you the pictures. However i'm seeing the white of the eyes is not very watery like in real life. Am i doing something wrong or you just didn't implement that?

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 08:14:27 PM »
I'm not sure.... you can try adjusting the specular and smoothness settings to see if that gets you a better reflection.  In my tests here the specular should appear much sharper than it does in your screenshots... I'm not sure why it's so blurred at the edges.  I have a small update patch that fixes a few issues since the last update that I'll email to you... I'm not sure if it will address this specific issue but I've found with the update I get more realistic reflections in general.

vrOculate3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 08:59:47 PM »
Thanks so much