Author Topic: Quick Cloth  (Read 1865 times)

CaptainMurphy

• View Profile
    • Wolf pack Games
Quick Cloth
« on: June 12, 2015, 09:39:41 AM »
Got any more info on quick cloth? I have a need for some simple cloth objects but cannot get the textures to work on double sided meshes when they are made into Unity 5 cloth objects. Single sided ones end up showing camera effects like SSAO through them from the back side so we are looking for a new cloth system.

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
Re: Quick Cloth
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 12:13:15 PM »
Don't have any new info quite yet...

It was started in Unity 4.x before I realised the cloth system would change in Unity 5.  The premise isn't that it's a new cloth system, as it isn't, it uses the same settings as the built-in cloth system.  However it makes working with the system MUCH easier to deal with.  Instead of having to click and set vertex constraints and weighting in the editor which is both time consuming and unstable, QuickCloth allows you to paint these weights onto an rgb texture which can be instantly applied or edited or swapped.  The components automatically interpret the rgb channels and apply them to the appropriate cloth vertices.

This all needs a thorough review now that Unity 5.0 is out, as I see no point in putting effort into the Unity 4 features at this point.  Hopefully I can get back to this soon. :)

Are you looking at solutions for your sails?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:45:28 PM by Chingwa »

CaptainMurphy

• View Profile
    • Wolf pack Games
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 12:53:39 PM »
Yes, we are looking into shader based movement now since the cloth objects are a bit unstable when applied to transmission shaded objects. We have been trying to find a good middle ground for the system. Unfortunately Alloy breaks when applied to double sided meshes so we are having to look at some other options now.

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »
It seems like in an ideal situation you would want both.  Some kind of wind-vector cloth physics for the overall Macro shape, and then normal/height displacement for more detailed wind motion.  I noticed the witcher 3 has some interesting sail effects.  They aren't very realistic I guess BUT they give the general feeling of a wind driven sail.  As far as I can tell from videos it looks to be just tessellation and scrolling shader displacement.