Author Topic: Floating surface plants?  (Read 1585 times)

Prosperro

• View Profile
Floating surface plants?
« on: May 24, 2015, 09:47:42 AM »
Ok so I'm pretty new to unity and don't know how difficult this is. I'm trying to create the appearance of seaweed like plants floating on the surface of the water bending and swaying with the current. I've tried making a cloth plane, attaching forces and wind and buoyancy etc. but I'm just striking out. Is it possible?

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
Re: Floating surface plants?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 10:00:44 AM »
Hi Prosperro,

The floating plants should be doable with Suimono as long as...

a) the plants are their own object (and not attached to the Unity terrain system).
b) the plant object has a rigidbody and collider component.
c) the plant has a Suimono fxBuoyancy object applied and configured for it.

This would allow your object to float regardless of the strength of the waves.  However if you have a very calm or flat body of water the above is probably overkill, and you'd be best to just place the objects where you want them without the above physics components. (they would still need to be their own objects though, and not attached to the terrain system).

However swaying (similar to wind?) with the water force would be difficult... and I'm going to say this is not possible out of the box either with Suimono or with Unity.  It might be possible with some custom work, but the effort might be great and might not be worth it depending on how important it is for your project.

Prosperro

• View Profile
Re: Floating surface plants?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 10:49:34 AM »
 I suppose certain floating plants would look good and natural such as lily pads, I'll try that.  But long sea weed type plants that need to bend and wave in the current to look right on the surface isn't going to happen then. At least now I know and I wont spend another full day trying lol. Ty for the reply!