Author Topic: Tenkoku 1.0.0 and Suimono 2.0.6  (Read 6547 times)

CaptainMurphy

• View Profile
    • Wolf pack Games
Tenkoku 1.0.0 and Suimono 2.0.6
« on: April 13, 2015, 12:46:32 PM »
Not sure if this is already reported but I didn't want to put it on the Unity forums if it had:

Unity 5.0.1f1 Pro, Suimono 2.0.6, Tenkoku 1.0.0, Standard Assets Effects

Started new project, imported the above three assets, added Suimono Module and Surface to the scene. Switched to Caribbean Blue preset. Checked scene with default directional light and camera in Forward/Gamma. Saw the foam view that seems to be an issue with Unity 5. Expected that result from recent updates and posts.

Switched to Deferred/Gamma and Deferred/Linear. Both results are consistent with what I have expected from Suimono so far. Everything works good.

Created two new layers "Sky" and "Moon", added Tenkoku 1.0.0, set the Main Camera to my default camera, did not modify caustics for this test (didn't see the need). Set clouds to about halfway on all levels so they would be visible in tests. Overcast is about half way which also makes thing VERY dark but also allows some more detail to be noticed.
Forward/Gamma
Forward/Linear
Deferred/Gamma
Deferred/Linear
Deferred/Gamma/HDR
Linear looks about the same as above.

My best guess is this is all tied to the fog setting because when I disable that mesh renderer most of the issues go away (other than the foam bug). The bad part is that if the fog is turned off you get a very clear defined line where the sky ends and the water begins. Also, in the last screenshot you will notice that the sun is perfectly visible even though the overcast is at 100%. It appears that the sun shines through every cloud perfectly.

The scene does look pretty good in the rift though. I am looking forward to further updates.

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
Re: Tenkoku 1.0.0 and Suimono 2.0.6
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 01:35:11 PM »
Thanks for the detailed breakdown Captain!  I'll put together a scene following your exact steps above and see if I can find where the problems lie a little later today.

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 08:27:11 PM »
Hi Captain,

I've gone through all the steps you posted above and my experience is pretty much exactly as you describe.  There's a couple issues happening here...

1) one is the fog as you mentioned.  In certain unity modes it's completely overwriting the water, though I' believe the next Suimono update should address this as it's mainly inheriting from a transparency problem.

2) next is the overcast setting is making the overall tenkoku scene lighting too dark... or at least too dark too soon.  This is taking away from the necessary lighting that the water needs to render properly.  Tweaks are forthcoming

3) Suimono reflections are not rendering tenkoku reflections by default, which again takes away from necessary infor for the water rendering to look correct.  You can fix this by going to the "Suimono_Surface-->Suimono_reflectionObject" game object and setting the "Reflect Layers" to also reflect the "sky" and "moon" layers.  I'll add a note to this in the documentation, but I also think I can automate this in the next suimono update.

CaptainMurphy

• View Profile
    • Wolf pack Games
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 08:46:10 PM »
I added the Sky/Moon layers to the dynamic reflections and ran into another issue.

When viewing from deck level you can see the ocean turn much darker at a certain range:

Higher it appears to get closer, then I realized what it was:

It appears that since the Tenkoku dome is only reaching that far that it only reflects to that point and stops.

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 09:12:13 PM »
The Skydome attempts to size itself based on the current camera distance settings... though I see from your screenshot it's not quite setting it properly.  I'll do some more testing on this end.  Can you tell me a typical view distance for your game camera?

CaptainMurphy

• View Profile
    • Wolf pack Games
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 09:51:44 PM »
This was a pretty stock camera at 1k. I kept setting it higher but it would always have a slight edge towards the rim.

Here is 10k draw distance:

CaptainMurphy

• View Profile
    • Wolf pack Games
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 02:51:39 PM »
I played with some of the sphere creation code and cannot get it working without leaving the edges still without the reflection. My best guess is that there needs to be a second sphere outside the first that is used for reflections on the water surface where the sphere ends. Otherwise you end up with a discolored edge if the sphere is too small or a broken sphere render if it is too large.

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 03:10:38 PM »
I've also been looking at this today and having some issues getting it fixed.  I don't think it's a problem exclusive to Tenkoku as I think it also is occuring because of settings related to Suimono's reflection rendering... I anticipate the solution will require updates with both assets.

CaptainMurphy

• View Profile
    • Wolf pack Games
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 04:19:38 PM »
For laughs and grins I tried adding in the TOD asset to see if it had a similar outcome and it is exactly the same.

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 04:24:30 PM »
Well that says it all I guess... %$#Suimono Reflections!  :'(

CaptainMurphy

• View Profile
    • Wolf pack Games
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:11:16 AM »
Next little bug. At around 1745 using stock date settings with Tenkoku 1.0.1 and Suimono 2.0.6 you get a distinct light change for the water reflections:

Like said before, it is a distinct switch. The color changes a few points of brightness or something and the water seems to 'flash' to the new reflection color.
Here is another pair of shots. I took them using pause and advance one step. The shots are one step apart.

Edit:
It does it in the morning too. Around 06:31:18 is where I can make it happen.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:23:55 AM by CaptainMurphy »

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 11:40:53 AM »
Thanks for the report Captain, as always!  I'll look into this... it sounds like possibly a transition issue between sun/moon lighting as it happens during dawn/dusk.  I'll have this fixed in the next update.

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »
Just an FYI... I've fixed the distant banding issue.  It was indeed a Suimono problem when used with "skybox" type assets.  The reflection breaks where the skybox intersects the scene geometry and then defaults to the camera's background color.  I couldn't actually "fix" this as it seems inherent to the way the reflection camera interfaces with skyboxes... however my solution involves blending the reflection out over distance, so it defaults back to a local color before the banding issue arises... thus covering it up.  Should work in 99% of cases  ;)  This fix will be in Suimono 2.1 (soon!)

Still looking at the Tenkoku dawn/dusk color pop though...

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 01:13:32 PM »
Hey Captain,

The color popping I believe is being caused by the moon lighting overlapping the sun/sky lighting where it really shouldn't.  The best solution to this problem is to go onto the "Tenkoku DynamicSky-->SkySphere-->SkySphereMoon-->Moon-->LIGHT_MoonWorld" object and remove the "Sky" layer from the culling mask of this light object.  I'll make sure this is hard-coded for the next update.