Author Topic: UPDATE: 1/16/2015 - Suimono Version 2.0.04 Released  (Read 7096 times)

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
UPDATE: 1/16/2015 - Suimono Version 2.0.04 Released
« on: January 16, 2015, 10:53:04 PM »
Hello All,

Suimono version 2.0.04 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download

With Today's release of Unity 5.0 beta 20, the underlying bug that was hampering Suimono visuals has finally been fixed.  This update addresses a number of little Unity 5 related issues that were left over, and overall rendering in Unity 5 beta 20 is now 99% back where it should be!

Also in this update you'll notice a rather large framerate increase, and in some cases this could give up to a 200% performance boost!  Special thanks go out to those intrepid code-mining individuals who pained through compiler spikes and obtuse code to find little nuggets of optimization gold! (you guys know who you are :D)

Usually I would wait to add a few more big fixes or improvements to release a new version, but so many of you have been waiting for Unity 5 I thought it best to have a whole new release.  Happy Friday!

-----------------
Water Scale note...  When using the infinite ocean setting, please double check the new "Ocean Scale" setting for your water surface (it used to be named "infinite scale").  This setting is now active, and lets you control the overall size of the detail area of the infinite ocean.  By default this should be set to1.0, but you can raise this up to whatever scale you need.  Please note that the larger the scale, the more tesellation you will need to use to fill-in detail areas.

BetterSkybox note...  There's a new folder called "_EXTRAS" and inside you'll find a work-in-progress asset called Better Skybox.  This is a new asset I'll be selling on the store eventually, but I'll be including it for free for Suimono users.  It replaces the built-in Unity skybox with it's own rendered skybox in order to fix some inherent depth deficiencies in the Unity skybox function.  This may now be necessary for those using the infinite ocean setting in order to prevent the default skybox from bleeding over into the water.  Please read the "readme" notes located in the BetterSkybox folder, and see the implementation of it in the demo scene (under the main scene camera) for more info.
-----------------

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

UPDATE: 1/16/2015 - Suimono Version 2.0.04
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        - FIX - Unity 5.0 (beta20+) Compatibility Updates!
        - FIX - Massive Performance increase due to code optimizations.
        - FIX - Infinite Ocean rendering no longer displays "double image" of ocean in DX11 mode   
                   (DX9 fix still forthcoming).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:44:06 PM by Chingwa »

munkman

• View Profile
Re: UPDATE: 1/16/2015 - Suimono Version 2.0.04 Released
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 02:24:09 AM »
I'm so excited to see the water working again in my project! Thanks so much for the quick integration with beta20

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 05:45:51 PM »
Hello.  I just wanted to make a quick note that for some reason since I updated I keep getting a NULL Reference error.

Code: [Select]
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
SuimonoModule.SuimonoGetHeightAll (Vector3 testObject) (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoModule.js:988)
SuimonoModule.StoreSurfaceHeight () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoModule.js:468)

Every time I add water to a new scene, I get this error.  However, it goes away once I move the camera to show the water on the screen.  Not sure what's causing it, but perhaps it's something you could look into.  As it stands I can't use this asset in another scene.  Not sure why it works in my original scene, but not new ones.

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 09:57:59 PM »
Hi Darkness,

Thanks for the report.  I have a pretty good idea what this is.... I'll look into it a bit on have a fix ready in the next update.

-Justin

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »
Hey Darkness, I have a fix for this.  Send me an email at konnichiwa[at]tanukidigital.com and let me know what version you're using (2.0.04 right?) I'll send you a small patch file.

ddnharris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 07:00:57 PM »
A few more screenshots at a fixed position that better illustrate the bug I mentioned in the 2.0.03 thread. Not sure if it's applicable but I'm completely removing Suimono 2 each update, and reinstalling fresh.

With fog (in all modes) cranked right up, the Ocean becomes white, rather than the colour of the fog. The behaviour is effectively as if the fog colour is white for only the Suimono surface, it also happens incrementally. Was Suimono fog behaviour changed for Unity5 compatibility? I understand the workflow has changed in 5.

Another view of the clipping too, which better shows the distance object only retaining visibility over terrain shaders.

ddnharris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 07:06:17 PM »
Also get the same errors as Darkness, in a slightly different use case. I have a persistent Suimono Module that is never destroyed on scene changes. If I change to a scene without any water surfaces, those errors fire. I've just added a small surface to every scene for the moment, but would be great to return to the old behaviour- happy enough to wait for the next update though.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 10:17:50 PM »
I also want to note that the Presets folder is always messing up.  Many times I get the error....

FileNotFoundException: Could not find file ".../Skullforge/Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/RESOURCES/SUIMONO_PRESET_.txt".
System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) (at

It happens constantly.  Even with a fresh install.  Is there any way to turn this off?

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 12:49:29 PM »
If I change to a scene without any water surfaces, those errors fire.
ddnharris - This should now be fixed.  I have a 2.0.04 patch if you're interested, just send me an email.  Otherwise the only issue I can forsee with saving the Suimono_Module between scenes is if the camera and target object references are NOT saved between scenes... these may need to be updated with each scene load... but that depends mainly on your game organization etc..

Fog should not have been affected by any Unity 5 updates (at least, I didn't change anything directly related to it....).  I'll look into fog and clipping issues.  This is just normal Unity fog correct, not an image effect fog?

Presets folder is always messing
Darkness - I'm looking intot his today.  Hopefully I can figure out why this is happening in your project...

ddnharris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 05:25:24 PM »
Hi, a persistent Suimono module was necessary for the buoyancy objects to work in subsequent scenes. I have a persistent player and camera system too so that all works fine, the references are never lost.

The problem with fog and clipping first occurred with the upgrade to 2.0.03. I hadn't made any other changes to the project at the same time, so there are no other assets that would have suddenly caused this. It's normal Unity fog, to be specific set to Exp 2 with a density of 0.01 but the error occurs with all fog types.

I'm using Unity Free, 4.6.1f1, DX9, on a Mac running OS X 10.10.1 None of these specs have changed since before the errors occurred, they started with 2.0.03.

Plutoman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 03:17:03 PM »
I just bought the asset and started integrating it into my project. I have the same issue as Darkness, but not consistently. The problem lessened when I started directly using the SUIMONO_Surface prefab instead of copying (ctrl-D copy) for a new prefab. In the new one, all the references seemed to be breaking oddly. Maybe the editor script did not handle changing it? Or is there any name-based recognition, as I had changed the name? Not particularly sure. The issue seems sporadic. If you get a good fix, I would appreciate the note. If there's more information you need, let me know. Everything is instantiated at runtime, since the world is procedural. I keep the Module in the scene prior to the startup, however.

My other question, however, is that I am using a image effect based fog for simulating line of sight in a 3d game-world, and I have a definitive conflict when using the fog along with Suimono. The fog was based upon Tasharen's fog of war, extensively modified, but the core fog effect is somewhat similar. Is there anything to fix that? I have alternatives, mainly to just rewrite the shaders to reference the fog inside them (I already have to do that for all transparent shaders), but I'd like a simpler solution, since while I want to do the rewrite for the project anyways, I would rather wait until the shaders are all finalized, instead of having to edit them in anytime I add updates (at least, for any shaders that are not my own.. ie Unity's Standard shader and etc). I can provide more information if necessary.

I would also note that I will need to do it for the water shaders, too, so if there is any complications in that, I would appreciate any notes.. but I don't foresee too many issues since the fog is just some small modifications to the vert and frag for a color multiplication, most of the heavy lifting is outside of the shader. I haven't dived into them yet, so I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into.

Otherwise, the water looks good - great customization, I'll be setting up some procedural mesh-creation for the lakes, but currently it adds some great touches to the scene, and will add much more when I set up the generation of our underground swamps. I attached a quick test shot to the post (obviously, we're knee-deep in development.. so it's not perfect yet).

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:20:31 PM by Plutoman »

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 04:48:04 PM »
Thanks for the notes Plutoman!  I'm still looking into the fog and preset issues.  A bit difficult to narrow them down but every bit of additional info helps.  Is your fog issue similar/same as ddnharris posts above (i.e. the fog is overwriting the water depth and false color issues?) Also question... are you using deferred or forward rendering?  And are you using dx9 or dx11?  All these different rendering settings have slight annoying differences on how they affect shader compositing and depth buffer rendering.  It's extremely irksome, since getting everything setup perfectly under condition A, doesn't mean it works under condition B.  The above should help me narrow down the fog issues a bit.

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »
Also of note, for those having presets issues... a Suimono user over on the Unity frums posted about issues now between presets and the Unity CacheServer.  Not sure if any of you guys are using this or not but thought I'd mention it until the errors can be ironed out.

check it out here:
Cache Server errors...

ddnharris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 06:57:47 PM »
Hi Justin,

Maybe I misinterpreted your post above, but the fog and clipping are unrelated on my side, i.e.. with fog turned off completely in render settings, clipping of the far plane is still a problem. I didn't mention earlier, but I'm using forward rendering as I'm not yet on Unity Pro.

I don't know if this tells you anything new, but setting 'Clear Flags' on the camera from 'skybox' to 'solid color' fixes the clipping. Doesn't help the fog.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:30:06 PM by ddnharris »

Plutoman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 12:18:39 PM »
First thing is first;

When I start a scene with no surface involved at all (only the module) get the errors Darkness has. When I create a water surface, but named differently, it breaks (this is based upon a Resources.Load() + GameObject.Instantiate() call). When I spawn in a water prefab that's named SUIMONO_Surface (ie, don't rename it on instantiation) it does not break.

The exact error as reference;

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
SuimonoModule.SuimonoGetHeightAll (Vector3 testObject) (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoModule.js:988)
SuimonoModule.StoreSurfaceHeight () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoModule.js:468)

The issue was not reproduced exactly the same in a new scene, in which I get the initial error, but when adding a new prefab to the scene, it seemed to work fine. I did not set up a test scripts to load the prefab in dynamically. If I had to take a guess, there's some Start or Awake code that is running in the Object prefab that is then getting off-track when the name is changed? And either way, the code should check or do some fix for when no surfaces exist in the scene.

Finally, when deleting an object, I get these errors;
MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'SuimonoObject' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
fx_causticObject.SetHeight () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/fx_causticObject.js:80)

As for as the fog issue, I'll get some more definite cases for it. If I understand these issues correctly, they should be small. I might fix them on my end, as long as I can muddle through the JS. The fog one.. that sounds like a complex little bugger.

One more question; how intensive is the Pro DX11 supposed to be? Comparing Pro DX11 to just Pro shaders, my scene goes from a very consistent 150+fps to less than 40fps. That seems rather remarkable. While it looks similar enough that I don't particularly care, I figured I'd point it out.

Edit: Missed the note that you fixed the above. Sorry!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:36:35 PM by Plutoman »