Author Topic: edit Suimono object mesh?  (Read 4493 times)

monks

• View Profile
edit Suimono object mesh?
« on: December 29, 2014, 03:48:28 PM »
Would it be possible to edit the Suimono object mesh?...using Unity plugin mesh editing tools from the Asset Store for eg?

monks

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
Re: edit Suimono object mesh?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »
Hmm... It's a good question I've never tried it!

Theoretically it should work fine, as long as you can edit the mesh and resave it in your project as a mesh, then you can also set it up in the meshFilter object and the mesh collider object.  I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I've used probuilder to make new objects, converted them to meshes in my project and then successfully atatched them to the suimono_object without any problems.

With version 2.0.0 I've included a utility script that will save a mesh from an object in your scene into your project folder (as some meshes only exist in the scene itself, especially when created dynamically).  To use this add the utility_saveMesh script to your object, give it a name in the "Use Name" field, and then press the "save asset" checkbox.  It should save the mesh into the "Suimono/MESH" folder.

Good Luck!  ;)

monks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 08:04:09 AM »
The script sounds useful...I asked because I think my custom meshes are not well tesselated at all- not evenly tesselated. compared to the Suimono surface object, I could see why it could cause problems. But the latest attempt I made at using the custom mesh it seemd ok. I can always re-tesselate my meshes in Max but I was interested if there were any other options for future ref.  ;)

monks

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 09:56:01 AM »
Yeah to gt realistic wave detail the meshes do need to have a certain level of vertices in them already, despite having suimono tesellation on them afterward.  I've noticed this with probuilder-created objects... I had to subdivide the mesh a couple times before it started to behave properly.