Author Topic: Suimono plane and FXLab water shader combinable?  (Read 2921 times)

HaBe

• View Profile
Suimono plane and FXLab water shader combinable?
« on: October 09, 2014, 08:48:12 AM »
Hi there, it's my first post here and I'm using Suimono for like 2 days now. First of all, let me say how amazed I am with the results I was able to achieve with your solution. I was only looking for some (semi-)auto shoreline and foam generation, but instead I got so much more and really pleasing results that I'd call tripple A. And man ist it great to be able to tweak the flow map in Photoshop and have instant shoreline/foam changes in the scene, instead of having to edit shoreline meshes, which was tedious work. Now it's just a matter of minutes for me to get a perfectly fitting water flow effect and even turbulences exactly where I want them. It would be nice if you could add an explanation to the flowmap tutorial that explains what color has which effect on the visuals of the water overlay though, as it took me quite some time and experimenting to find out.
Really great work on this asset, I'm looking forward to the 2.0 release!

But enough hymn of praise, let's come to my actual question:
As I can't afford Unity Pro atm, but I still want to have realtime reflection and refraction on my water plane, I'm also using the water effect from FXLab. Right now I'm using two planes, one for the Suimono surface, and one for the FXLab surface slightly above that (like 0.1 units above). But that gives me some expected (like Z-fighting in the distance) and unexpected - but obvious - problems (like disappearing foam texture where FXLab draws its depth fog). As I'm not so sophisticated with shader coding yet, I'm sending my question out to those who are: Is there a relatively easy way (for a shader newbie that is) to incorporate the FXLab render target textures into the Suimono shader so that I can have one single plane and get rid of the problems? Or is there maybe even someone that already did something like that?

To the Suimono team: Is it feasible for you to include FXLab render texture support into the 2.0 branch? That would give Unity Free users the posibility to almost have the same visual quality with Suimono as the Pro user, which some people would really like I could imagine. But, of course, the work overhead that would be needed must be justified.

Thanks for reading!

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
Re: Suimono plane and FXLab water shader combinable?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:31:13 AM »
Hi there HaBE,

Thanks for your kind words about Suimono.  I'm glad it's working well for you and it's awesome to hear your excitement :)  The 2.0 beta is coming to completion soon and the release version of 2.0 should be up on the store before too much longer.  I of course recommend everyone to simply sign up for the beta now, as it's such a huge improvement over the current version already, though I understand the reasons for waiting for the official release.

but just in case, you can sign up here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/suimono/beta/

I haven't looked into the FXLab shaders in depth, so I'm not sure how much work it would take to merge the two together.  Though I imagine it would not be trivial, as suimono is already almost maxed out in the number of texture interpolations it can use.  It also sems that the FXLab shaders are no longer being actively supported... so just from that perspective it makes me a little wary of putting a lot of work into getting them working together. (unfortunately, because having these effects in the free version would be AWESOME!)

One thing you might be able to try is to instead put Suimono on top of the fxlab, and then make the suimono depth and surface alphas down to 0... though I'm just speculating.

HaBe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:50:28 AM »
Hey, thanks for the fast reply! Just minutes after reading your answer, the easy solution jumped to me: Using a second material on the suimono surface! Never found a use for multiple materials before, but boy was that solution obvious... almost bit me.  And voilá, the result of a quick test:

Suimono + realtime reflection/refraction/depth fog on one surface, so happy right now. :) As the FXLab water also supports a flow map, I'm looking into converting the Suimono flow map to the FXLab format in an instant.

I already tried the beta, but it wasn't working for me yet for a couple of reasons. I'll take some notes and send them to you in a couple of days if I find the time. I'm just starting to imagine how the water would look with the v2 3D waves and tesselation using two materials now... have to try that out soon.

Regarding FXLab: Sure, there was no new version in like a year now, but as I understand the purpose of the asset, it was meant to bring the Pro effeects to Free, and they achieved just that. It works (in my use cases at least) like a charm and the water blows me away every time I'm setting it up. And now, with Suimono, it finally has all the visual features I always wanted. Thanks for making that possible! :)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:55:02 AM by HaBe »

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 11:36:34 AM »
Whenever you get a chance to type out your 2.0 experience I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Using a second material on the suimono surface!
hahaha I didn't think of it either :D