Author Topic: Can't get splash effects or ripples to work at all  (Read 5369 times)

miroku000

• View Profile
Can't get splash effects or ripples to work at all
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:36:48 PM »
Hi.

Using the 2.0 Beta 087, I can't get splash effects or ripples to work at all.  Can anyone explain what is necessary to get this to work?  Even with a Simple Sphere or a Box?  With the 1.x version, this stuff just sort of worked.  Now, it doesn't appear to work at all.  Is there something simple I am missing?

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
Re: Can't get splash effects or ripples to work at all
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:44:17 AM »
Hi miroku000,

This has changed in version 2.0.  Previously it simply used colliders to determine when to initiate effects, but because of the addition of 3d waves required a more specific method for determining collisions.  You'll see it's slightly more complicated than before, but it's also much more flexible and powerful :)

In order to add splashes or ripples or other effects to your character you simply need to add a suimono "fx_object" to that game object. (check under suimonos2/prefabs)  The fx_object will handle the displaying of specified effects based on a ruleset that you set up on each object.  I've included a .jpg below that tries to illustrate this... on my game character I wanted splashes to occur when she walks into the water, but I don't want them to occur when she is completely under the water, so I've set up the rules as follows...

1) if the water depth (measured at the fx_object position) is greater than 0.05...
2) AND if the water depth is less than 1.9 (the character height is 1.9)...
3) AND the object speed (meaning the character object) is greater than 3 (i.e. the character is moving)...

...then it will play the splash effect.

Using some simple rules like this you can create pretty complex interactions.  The current beta download includes a work-in-progress example scene with a boat object where some of these fx_object concepts are already setup... for splashes, ripples, as well as a boat wake effect.  I hope my explanations make some sense,  let me know if you have any questions, thoughts, feedback etc.

monks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:19:26 AM »
Hi, thanks for the info!...if I want to add 2 different sounds: one for walking in deep water splash, and another sound for walking in shallow water, how would I do that? Do I need to add another sound object parented to the character model?

monks

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:35:34 AM »
Yes exactly.  You can add as many fx_objects as you like... so with multiples with slightly different settings you can create really advanced interactions.  For example...

you can add the first fx_object with a particle size of 1.0 and a"water depth is greater than" rule of 0.05...
you can add a second fx_object with a particle size of 3.0 and a"water depth is greater than" rule of 0.1...

this will then play the smaller splash when you first enter the water, and will play the larger splash when you're a little deeper in the water.  you can also add a "water depth is less than" 0.1 rule on the first object to turn it off when in deeper water for example...  AND you can add "object speed is greater than" rules on both these objects so they only play when you are actually moving... etc. etc.

monks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 11:15:41 AM »
reporting a possible bug?

I added 2 fx objects to the character. Both are parented to the character model and share the same pos.

Splash still plays after I deactivated the 1st fx object and set the sound to none. But I get no sound from the 2nd object.

The 1st object I added is now deactivated and the sound source set to none but still sounds.
 The 2nd object doesn't sound at all. Rules for 2nd object are: water depth 0 < > 1m, object speed > 0. Volume max, preview on sound source ok.

monks

monks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 01:59:18 PM »
It seems that the Suimono_Module fx (script) is overriding whatever settings I make to any fx_effect objects I add to the character. Maybe I'm not understanding correctly how this works.

monks

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 02:24:08 PM »
The 1st object I added is now deactivated and the sound source set to none but still sounds.
 The 2nd object doesn't sound at all. Rules for 2nd object are: water depth 0 < > 1m, object speed > 0. Volume max, preview on sound source ok.
Just to make sure before I go in and do a bug test... on the 2nd object  the water depth should be > 0 and < 1m.  the depth refers to the depth of the fx_object in relation to the water surface... so as it get's deeper the depth will get larger.

overriding whatever settings I make
Are you sure this isn't just the standard unity override?  i.e. when you make changes to game objects during play mode, they don't stay once you press stop.  the fx_objects don't have a preset system (unfortunately) so you need to make sure you set them with the right attributes before you start your scene. This is just the way Unity works... it can be annoying sometimes, but it can be helpful at other times.

monks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 05:13:38 PM »
I'll check this later but I suspect is it a bug since Unity froze..and it rarely does that. I'm not sure what you mean in the 2nd comment. I didn't make any changes while in play mode. I'm referring to the Suimono settings.

monks

monks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 05:25:21 PM »
 I went into the Suimono_Module > _sound_effects and in the inspector turned all of the default splash sounds to none- except the first one (element 0). And I'm now able to get the 2nd sound clip playing. I will try to get 2 sounds playing.

monks