Author Topic: Directional light over-blowing water surface brightness  (Read 4397 times)

justinl

• View Profile
Directional light over-blowing water surface brightness
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:53:22 PM »
Hi,

I have a day/night cycle in my scene and during high-noon the water surface really blows out to full whiteness.  I only have 1 directional light in the scene set to 0.5 intensity, no other lights are in the scene enabled, and ambient light is turned off.  I tried setting all the properties on the Water surface shader to 0, still it's full white.  What setting should I use to have the water not be so blown out?  I'm aware I'll probably need to transition the water preset depending on the time of day, however I can't even get the water to look normal during noon time at all unless I set every color on the water material to 0, and set all the colors to black with 0 alpha which doesn't seem like the right way to do it.

I've attached 3 images to show you what it looks like.  It shows the water change as I shift my time of day from morning (0.1 strength) to noon (0.5 directional light).  I'm sure it's just a setting but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks
Justin

ps - your upload restrictions make it difficult to show pictures with decent quality (essentially it's 48kb max size per image)

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
Re: Directional light over-blowing water surface brightness
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »
Hi Justin,
First try turning off the Water_Presets component so that you can make changes on the fly and it doesn't overwrite your settings.... then try lowering the "Specular Strength" and the "Emissive Strength" attributes on the shader.  If this still is too bright, you can drop the "Illumination" attribute into the negative to overcompensate.  You shouldn't need to adjust any colors.

I'll review the image upload settings, thanks!

justinl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 02:17:49 PM »
Hi,

I've tried setting all those suggested values to 0 and still not really any change unfortunately.  I have disabled all image effects on my two scene cameras.  No change there either.

I noticed that if I rotate my directional light to be more parallel to the ground (e.g. sunrise/sunset), that the water looks fine, but as I rotate the directional light to point straight down at the ground it causes the white water surface (as I'm rotating the light, the intensity is a constant 0.5 and doesn't change).

Justin

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 03:03:03 PM »
Hmm.  Are you 100% sure there are no other lights in the scene? And no other lights kicking in or ratcheting up over the course of the day?  If you reduce the intensity of the light in order to adjust the water brightness I assume it makes the rest of your scene too dark?

I really can't see any other reason why the water would be so bright.  I wonder if anyone else using UniStorm has seen similar issues.

fyi, there are now no filesize limits on image uploads.

justinl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 03:14:42 PM »
I'm sure there's no other lights in the scene as I've done a search on the Scene Hierarchy and there's only 1 light.  Also I'm fairly familiar with UniStorms architecture as I almost completely re-wrote the whole system.

However, I think it may have to do with the baked lighting.  I need to bake the world fairly "dark" (low light) so that at night, things are dark and not falsely illuminated by the light map.  This means that during the day, I have to have the directional light set to 0.5 (bright) to make it look like day time.  However, I'm going to try some different bake settings to see if that fixes it.  I see in your example scene that if I aim the directional light straight down at the water, it doesn't go bright like it does in my scene and you light is brighter than mine.  Though your scene has no baked lights.  I'll post back when I figure out what's going on.

Thanks!
Justin

justinl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 03:39:17 PM »
Okay, I figured out what is causing the problem: light cookie.

If you assign a cookie to your directional light, then the water shader has major problems.  I've attached an image to show you your example scene and the only thing I did was add a cookie to your light.  You can see what the cookie looks like as well.

We were using the light cookie to simulate moving clouds and thus, the light would have subtle shadows in it animating by.  Doesn't look like your water shader supports light cookies.

Justin

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 04:42:17 PM »
I see.  I set up a light with a cookie here on my end and I can see what you're talking about.  After a little experimentation it seems the cookie light is being additively increased with every shader pass (the Suimono Surface shaders have multiple passes).  I'll have to research a way around this, though in the meantime you could duplicate your light and remove the "Water" layer from theoriginal light's culling mask and set up the duplicate light without the cookie, so it only shines on the water layer.

Stay Tuned!

justinl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 05:30:22 PM »
Cheers thanks for the suggested work around.  Should work great in the meantime.