Author Topic: Shadows on Water?  (Read 136 times)

theonciest

• View Profile
Shadows on Water?
« on: March 13, 2019, 03:59:23 PM »
I can't find anywhere in the settings that let's me apply shadows, or at least disable transparency fully to allow shadows to work?

Also, I am unsure of how to get the shoreline feature to work, so the water doesn't really create foam against objects like the terrain it just kind of goes through them.

If anyone can help with these issues that'd be great!

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:27:19 PM by theonciest »

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
Re: Shadows on Water?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 07:38:07 AM »
Hi theonciest,

Suimono does not currently support shadow rendering, though this is a feature I'm investigating for future versions.

For the shoreline you need to add a shoreline object to your scene (from the prefabs folder) then scale it to fit around what areas you want to generate shoreline effects.  You do need to be mindful of resolution, so if you want to generate shoreline for a large area its a better idea to arrange multiple shoreline objects with small overlap rather than one huge object.  You can see the shorelineobject setup in the demo scene as an example.

theonciest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 06:20:50 PM »
I imported the shoreline prefab and then it broke my post processing. ??? Then literally thousands of errors pop up

theonciest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 06:23:29 PM »
Is there a way to turn off transparency and just use a standard material?

theonciest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 06:25:31 PM »
Completely breaks post processing, it's gone now. That's fantastic.

theonciest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 06:37:25 PM »
Okay got it working again, had to reimport the stack and remove the shoreline.

Anyways, really need a way of getting shadows on the water. Even if it means disabling the reflections, caustics, refractions, everything. We just need the tesselation and buoyancy.

theonciest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 06:42:28 PM »
I have a river right now and basically the water just looks so darn bad without being able to put shadows on it. We don't even need to see through the water that's the thing, it's muddy. With a standard material applied this should be able to work right?

theonciest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 11:42:43 PM »
Okay if I disable caustics camera, it fixes the issue, but I get all these errors
This is insane...

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 11:45:52 PM by theonciest »

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 01:49:21 AM »
I sent you an email regarding the disconnect error.

Suimono is not designed to use custom materials, it's intended that you'll use the material/shader that is included with the system.  If all you need is the vertex tessellation/displacement then you would need to edit the Suimono shader in order to keep those features.  Just using a normal standard shader material will not work.

I'm not sure why you would get a string of errors by using a shoreline object, though it might be related to the disconnect error preventing full system compilation.  I sent you a patch that should fix that issue.

As mentioned, shadows are not possible in this system as it currently stands, you would need to edit the shader in order to add them but of course as with many things in Unity this will come with a tradeoff (losing transparency for example).

theonciest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 02:15:36 AM »
Thank you so much man,

Also to get the shadows to work I just hit enable shadows on the mesh and it just worked... lol

Might want to play around with that. :D Got your email, thank you so much man! I'll let you know how it goes when I get back.

theonciest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 03:44:35 AM »
Hmm now waves are just simply flat...

theonciest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 05:14:56 PM »
Yeah so a custom mesh doesn't tesslate and create waves. It's just flat, if I increase the slider it just makes it slide. I think it's the surface object?

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 06:44:58 AM »
In order for a custom mesh to tessellate properly you'll need to make sure the mesh is subdivided in a fairly regular grid pattern.  The more rectangular the grid cells the more strange tessellation might look, so it's best to keep the subdivisions as square as possible.  Also the object mesh needs to be oriented in a Y-up orientation in your modelling software to match Unity's orientation.... so each vertice  will then understand that Y = up... this should then make displacement in the correct upward direction instead of sliding side to side.