Author Topic: Possible to spawn waves when objects enter/exit ocean surface?  (Read 79 times)

mostlyhuman

• View Profile
Possible to spawn waves when objects enter/exit ocean surface?
« on: October 27, 2018, 04:40:37 PM »
I have large objects that drop into the ocean and raise up out of the ocean and want to have waves generated from their movement of entering/exiting on the Suimono surface, is this possible?

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
Re: Possible to spawn waves when objects enter/exit ocean surface?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 05:39:40 PM »
Hmmm... You could use the included wave ripple effect to simulate this type of thing.  The demo character has an example setup for it using the FxObject prefab.  However this is not a 3D effect, and only gets rendered on the water surface.  There isn't currently a built-in way to do 3 dimensional wave effects like this.

mostlyhuman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 12:35:34 AM »
Would you consider adding this as a feature? Having the ability to spawn 3d waves would allow for dropping and raising things out of the water as well as things like boat wakes or other things moving through the water.  I was noticing how in the new Assassins Creed game you can drop bodies in the water and it will create 3d waves emanating outward, pretty cool.  If its too difficult to spawn waves on the same plane that already has waves, i wonder if there would be a way to spawn a second ocean plane that blends into the main plane and have the new waves generated on the second plane or something. Thanks in advance for the consideration! :-)

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 09:10:34 AM »
I have seen these effects in recent games (Asassin's creed, RDR2, etc) and this is something I would like to add to Suimono.  Because of the background rendering architecture I can tell you this won't be possible in the Suimono 2.x version, BUT it is one of my goals for Suimono 3.0 which I hope to have available sometime in 2019.