Author Topic: Rising Water Level/flooding interior help  (Read 582 times)

Resin

• View Profile
Rising Water Level/flooding interior help
« on: March 01, 2018, 12:51:47 PM »
I am working on a scene in which I would like to make a gradually flooding interior, I have a few questions regarding this:

I first tried to just animate the surface position, but this did not work for me. Is there a better, proper way to do this?

I have bits of paper floating in the water that the player could pick up. I added the buoyancy child and that worked alright, but then I needed to add a rigid body to keep them from floating through the walls and furniture. They now seem kind of unpredictable, despite being the same prefab some will disappear, others will float exactly as I would like, and occaisionally some will just spin way faster than I would like or end over end. Any advice on how to do this better would be appreciated.

I like the outdoor water sounds, but they are inappropriate to my scene. Any suggestions on where to find some more water sounds?

Any help is appreciated, I am somewhat of a novice with Unity, so thank you for bearing with me.

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
Re: Rising Water Level/flooding interior help
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 01:35:52 PM »
For additional sounds I would recommend checking out https://freesound.org/

The above water sound included with Suimono is a global sound, and not very appropriate for many scenes.  I usually recommend that people turn off the above water sound, and then place normal Unity AudioSource objects around their scene using their own preferred sound fx.

For flooding interior I would write some code to access the Suimono_Surface transform, and gradually increase the y-position higher and higher.  It sounds like this is what you're doing?  Make sure you are raising the main object and not any of the sub-objects.

For buoyancy you'll probably want to go to the rigidbody settings and increase the 'drag' and 'angular drag' settings until you get more stable float behavior.  since the suimono buoyancy objects are applying force to the rigidbody, the default drag settings are probably too lenient.

If they are rotating end over end, and the drag settings don't help this, then you can add additional buoyancy objects to counteract this a bit... for example a sheet of paper you may want to have a buoyancyobject placed at each corner, which should prevent this type of tumbling effect from happening.

Resin

• View Profile
Re: Rising Water Level/flooding interior help
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 02:14:34 PM »
Thank you for the fast response. Very helpful!