Author Topic: White outlines around terrain/trees  (Read 39 times)

lDissentl

• View Profile
White outlines around terrain/trees
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:32:05 AM »
First of all, thanks for all your effort that went into creating this asset, for the most part I am amazed by your work.

I've encountered the following problem: When my terrain objects are viewed from above with the water behind them, and the distance setting on the water transparency set beyond my terrain objects, they display a white outline surrounding them.

I have read in an earlier post that this problem can be resolved by adjusting the resolution setting on the water transparency. The other alternative expressed in this post was to set the above water objects to a different layer so they aren't impacted. In regard to the first option, if I increase the resolution it creates large spikes in demand on my system, which is a concern. Also, this does not get rid of the white outline entirely, it just minimises it. The alternative also is a problem because my terrain extends high above the shoreline where the outline is quite distinct and I do not know of a way of separating height levels of my terrain so they can be excluded.

I am attempting to create an RTS-type game and so this effect is quite obvious with the downward focussed perspective of the camera. I'll also readily admit that I am fairly new to experimenting with unity assets, so if there is something simple I have missed in order to be able to fix this problem, I'd be very grateful for access to that information.

Kind regards,

Leigh

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
Re: White outlines around terrain/trees
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 12:33:41 PM »
Hi Leigh,

The white outline issue can be solved as you read before, by increasing the resolution.  Though as you see, depending on your scene, this may not be acceptable due to the increased performance demand.  Another option you have is to go to the 'Foam settings' section and either reduce the 'edge foam' settings or lower the color alpha.  This should start to reduce how noticeable that line is.  Or you can turn off the 'Enable Foam' check box and it should eliminate it completely.

If you are not willing to turn off or reduce the foam settings, then you might consider going to the 'Water Surface' section and lowering the 'Refraction Amount' setting, as this might reduce how obvious these outline appears.

I also recommend keeping the transparency distance as low as possible, as this should reduce the amount of objects that need to be re-rendered for transparent effects, and should also reduce the render load on your system.

Hope this helps!

-Justin

lDissentl

• View Profile
Re: White outlines around terrain/trees
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 11:52:31 AM »
I was able to solve this problem by adjusting the depth absorbtion setting so I could bring the transparency in without it appearing blocky with the transparency distance being to short, if that makes sense. This meant then that I could shorten the transparency distance and then increase the resolution without it impacting performance. Your advice made it a lot more clear as to where I was going wrong, so thanks!