Author Topic: Unity 5: Boat Simulation, Submersible Simulation, Ocean Life Simuation  (Read 7179 times)

onephpmastermind

• View Profile
Ok so I will post updates to this thread regarding this project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E67ccJUduk&feature=youtu.be

Be sure to check out the latest update, more graphics improvements and updates.

Project Goals:

Submersible ship with undersea ocean view in decks below ocean surface - DONE
First person character controller on moving ship - DONE
8000x8000 terrain - DONE (but needs texture work)
Controller for player to drive the yacht - IN PROGRESS
Decorations and LOD system for interior decorations - IN PROGRESS
Boat Texture+lighting work -  IN PROGRESS
AI for roaming wildlife - IN PROGRESS
Procedural undersea environment (reefs) with wildlife spawns - IN PROGRESS
Submersible (pilotable) sub marine lauchable off the yacht - IN PROGRESS

Let my know if yall have any suggestions as I go. I will post videos here or you can subscribe to my youtube channel.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:16:29 PM by onephpmastermind »

onephpmastermind

• View Profile

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
Re: Unity 5: Boat Simulation, Submersible Simulation, Ocean Life Simuation
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 08:40:54 PM »
I thought you only worked on this on the weekends? :D  You're making some nice progress.  Can't wait to see that submersible in operation.

onephpmastermind

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 05:36:27 AM »
I thought you only worked on this on the weekends? :D  You're making some nice progress.  Can't wait to see that submersible in operation.

I got a little obsessed lol, I better get back to work on my day job as web developer before i lose it lol.

I also fixed the ball physics, working perfectly now, it is a rather complicated system of mirroring.

I will upload a video soon of on-board ship physics working properly soon when i get some more done to show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8oLbNWCfW8&t=2s

Oh I forgot to post that last update, I decided that I am going to take it a step further and have simulated physics inside the moving ship, objects that react to ships movements. Bottles and dishes that slide around, pictures on walls that move according to the ships pitch and yaw for maximum immersion. These system do take up additional CPU however so I will be implementing a way to turn them off and revert to static objects in the options.

Fixed (On Board Objects Reactive Physics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZZoeK36kTI&feature=youtu.be

If you like I can skip texturing and decorations for now and start programming the boat/submersible controllers, I downloaded substance painter because I just cant find any good pbr textures for my needs and substance painter has an amazing library of pbr textures.

I am going to use Gaia for undersea procedural landscapes. First I will have to design a bunch of coral reef prefabs. The terrain you see in the background was made using Gaia which I am pretty intimately familiar with. I can also deploy Terrain Tessellation shaders, however you will need a high end graphics card to run it... it will take this way past AAA quality into next-gen.

The submersible controller will take some time. It will have cockpit and orbiting camera views. You will also be able to look around in the cockpit by holding right mouse button.

I have big plans ;) later on I will implement a dynamic weather system with day a night cycle which I have already prepped for. Clouds get heavy and dark, ocean waves increase gradually to 3-5x scale depending on distance from land. Particle rain, procedural lighting. FOG and mist off your wave foam. IT WILL BE GLORIOUS.

And lets not forget I need to do particle effects around the ship using your FX buoy's and a particle trail behind the ship. I want the ship to make splashes as it slaps the ocean surface around the edges of the hull, and bubbles under them for below deck ocean view. Lod controlled of course.

Achieving next-gen triple AAA status is a lot of work.... sure was made a lot shorter though by your amazing water system. It is well coded and easy to modify for my needs.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:09:47 AM by onephpmastermind »

onephpmastermind

• View Profile

onephpmastermind

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »
WHO WANTS TO FLY AWAY WITH ME?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_KlgMX59pc&feature=youtu.be

Hit me up when you are back from vacation I need some help with an issue I am having with "  cam.projectionMatrix = copyCam.projectionMatrix;" The transparency shader not working at high altitude above the terrain.

I have a work around solution where I disable the projection matrix in camera tools and then enable it when the player reaches a low altitude. This is works giving me partial transparacny effect at high altitude but as soon as i enable it, it stays enabled and creates a problem with the shader not working properly when the camera looks above the horizon at high altitude.

I can make a video to show the issue if you like.

onephpmastermind

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 08:09:56 AM »
Lonely island tribute:

AND I can SEAMLESSLY enter and exit boat! now time to add functionality to enter and exit multiple vehicles and have various boats parked around the island to find and ride on ;P

I beat my head against a wall for 10 hours over a character controller alignment issue but finally figured it out.. now i can do what they do in GTA and all big $ games. I can ride anything anytime! anywhere! and seamlessly transition. I plan on making the whales ride-able, you will be able to jump from the boat onto them and ride them ;P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFeSzpzDoGk

onephpmastermind

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 08:12:02 AM »
Lonely island tribute:

AND I can SEAMLESSLY enter and exit boat! now time to add functionality to enter and exit multiple vehicles and have various boats parked around the island to find and ride on ;P

I beat my head against a wall for 10 hours over a character controller alignment issue but finally figured it out.. now i can do what they do in GTA and all big $ games. I can ride anything anytime! anywhere! and seamlessly transition. I plan on making the whales ride-able, you will be able to jump from the boat onto them and ride them ;P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFeSzpzDoGk

later on I may turn it into a mini game, think of this, a shark bits a chunk of your boat and its sinking and a pack of whales are chasing after it and you have to jump from whale to whale with a harpoon trying to kill the shark lol... would be hilarious and fun to program.

onephpmastermind

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 08:03:54 AM »
oK, i have an issue with the particle FX system. I need to use local space on my particles, they are not working when i switch them to local space. Only in World. I am assuming this is because the object the FxObject is on is on a dynamic object a boat (that is dynamically) generated at runtime, the clone for the camera mirror system for moving on moving objects.

Because they arent working in local I am going to assume that you are transforming the particle effect to the FxObject, moving the (clone).  I need to be able to set the parent of particle effect.

I am going to assume the easiest way for me right now is to gameobejct.find and move it or will that create problems with your scrips not fiding the child inside the particle_fx  container?

onephpmastermind

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 07:37:59 PM »
This is why you don't put a pool table on a boat! :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ev6jsPMWM&feature=youtu.be

onephpmastermind

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 08:36:09 AM »
Going to be a little bit longer on that video I am redoing my terrain to support stitching, underwater mesas and canyons for the submersible controller/exploring. I am also deploying MicroSplat shaders with tesselation.

onephpmastermind

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 03:05:48 AM »
Pleased to announce a new update DYNAMIC weather, fully volumetric clouds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmtF3VD5wqI&feature=youtu.be

Like, Share, Subscribe!

Chingwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tanuki Digital
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 08:06:29 AM »
Very cool man!

onephpmastermind

• View Profile